CFO - A multi-faceted Role
CFO is the main Financial person of the company. His main role is to look after the financial management of the company. But a sneak preview of the requirements and responsibilities, as have been made to define over time, will make you wonder whether he is a Superhuman.
Here is it for you to have a glimpse:
Strategy setting, information sharing, advice, counseling, and reporting
Reporting to the CEO of the business and value adding into the business through strategic planning.
A member of the Company’s Executive Management Team and participate in the organization’s overall strategy with global responsibilities for all Company’s entities. Assist in formulating the company's future direction and supporting tactical initiatives. Providing executive management with advice on the financial implications of business activities
To drive the financial and operational strategy of the sizable business, metrics tied to that strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results.
Overall responsible for all aspects of financial and management reporting for the business. Lead Organization-wide cost control initiatives
Responsible for, but not limited to, financial business planning & analysis, financial management, financial reports, budgeting, accounting, company audits, compliance, governance, bank relationships, taxation, financial operations, treasury, administration and insurance. Implement operational best practices. Oversee the company's transaction processing systems. Ensuring that effective internal controls are in place and ensure compliance with accounting
Work closely with the CEO and BOD for effective decision making for maximizing returns on investments, minimizing tax incidence through efficient tax planning, mitigating internal or external risk and maximizing company's overall profitability. Advising on long-term business and financial planning. Evaluating and advising on the impact of long range planning, introduction of new programs/ strategies and regulatory action.Provide financial and project due diligence
To ensure the company have an optimal capital structure and maintain strong financial controls in preparation for more aggressive expansion plans.
Leading a team across the country, you are a motivational and inspirational leader, coaching and providing leadership and direction for the continuous development of the finance function. Providing leadership in the development for the continuous evaluation of short and long-term strategic financial objectives.
[B] Key Responsibilities
Budgets, Forecasts and Business Plans:
- Manage the processes for financial forecasting, budgets, Consolidation and oversee the preparation of all financial reporting.
- Responsible for ensuring that annual financial objectives and budgets are set and attained
- Establishing policies, procedures, and systems
- Adhere to departmental budgets and ensure optimal utilization of all available resources
- Assess financial risks & opportunities and help set / track financial goals, objectives, and budgets.
- Reports financial status by developing forecasts, reporting results, analyzing variances, and developing improvements.
- Monitors financial performance by measuring and analyzing results, initiating corrective actions, and minimizing the impact of variances.
- Critically evaluate and oversee budget variance and examine financial reports for any unusual or out of sync matter
- Control CAPEX, inventory management, to limit variances
- Provide analysis and recommendations on revenue increase and cost reduction
- Responsible for financial management, financial reporting and the tight fiscal control and delivery of significant capital projects. They must also be able to capture, process, report and explain the impact of key transactions promptly and accurately.
- Total responsibility for the accurate production of monthly Management Accounts and accurate annual statutory financial statements at Group consolidation and Company level. The Management Accounts are to be produced to a standard appropriate for delivery to the Executive Management team, Board of Directors.
Cash Flow Management:
- Manage cash effectively and efficiently.
- Monitor cash balances and cash forecasts and Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed.
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed
- Analyze ERP, forecast cash flows & provide timely updates to stakeholders on financial standing.
Audit, Reports and Consultants:
- Coordinate internal audit efforts by reviewing the annual audit plan, performs strategic analysis on audit findings and corrective/preventive measures taken
- Consultants, Auditors, Regulatory Bodies, Banks- Improve control environment through accounting means and harmonize reports across, Statutory compliance and value generation from audit effort
- Maintain strong working relationships with key accountants and tax specialists, lawyers, property relationships, and other finance related advisors
- Manage third parties to which finance functions have been outsourced
- Lead and coordinate the preparation of financial statements, financial reports, special analysis, and information reports
- Critically examine financial reports
- Finance Department- Information sharing, planning, decision making and performance management
- In conjunction with and as required by Upper Management, contribute to the formulation and implementation of strategy in line with vision and mission.
- Strategic financial management with the objective of maximizing shareholder value, assisting formulating Company’s future direction
- Communicate the approved strategic financial direction and accomplishes the approved objectives
- Monitoring and directing the implementation of strategic business plans
- Execution of the financial strategy in line with the group
- Support the strategic decision-making process by delivering creative options that facilitate the business to take optimal advantages of opportunities
- Providing strategic recommendations to the CEO/president and members of the executive management team. Providing recommendations to strategically enhance financial performance and business opportunities.
- Develop organization prospects by studying economic trends and revenue opportunities, projecting acquisition and expansion prospects
- Creation and establishment of yearly financial objectives, capital requests and budgeting plans that align with the Company’s plan for growth and expansion
- Responsible for managing the financial activities of the Company and adhering to generally accepted accounting principles established by UAE government and other regulatory entities.
- Preparation of annual financial statements of subsidiaries and consolidated group financials in compliance with IFRS, statutory and regulatory compliance
- Analyzing organization operations; identifying opportunities for improvement, cost reduction, and systems enhancement; and accumulating capital to fund expansion.
- Motivate team members and contributes to the identification of opportunities to take part in change initiatives, Programmes and projects that reflect international best practice and changes in the competitive environment
- Perform continuous monitoring & improvement of accounting systems, internal controls & finance policies to ensure compliance with IFRS & accounting norms.
- Develop, implement, and maintain knowledge of company policies, procedures, and processes.
- Research of funding and revenue opportunities, analysis of internal operations and identification of areas of cost optimization and process enhancement
- Take hands-on lead in developing, implementing, and maintaining a comprehensive cost system with project cash Management
- Identify cost optimization opportunities
- Conduct test controls at macro level mainly by inquiry and observation
Systems & Processes:
- Implement approved departmental policies, processes and procedures, to ensure work is completed out in a controlled and consistent manner while delivering a world class service.
- Ensure cost-efficient usage of all applicable resources to reduce wastage and unnecessary expense.
- Share ideas and viewpoints to further streamline processes, thus driving efficiency and improvements across the organization
- Develop effective reporting system and maximizes shareholders value.
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems and financial procedures
- Implementation of financial processes and mechanisms
- Provide leadership, direction and management of the finance and accounting team in the Group.
- Responsible for overall management of the finance function
- organization-wide initiative to drive corporate governance, revenue generation and cost management.
- Ensure that appropriate financial governance principles are adopted
- Divide finance portfolio in social and economic segments and analyzes the same in terms of set objectives of long-term sustainability and self-financial reliance
- Ensure appropriate legal review of contracts and solicit external legal advice as required.
- Development and implementation of a business risk management system to identify and mitigate any significant risks to the company’s operation
- Maintain appropriate insurance coverage and manage the company’s insurance program
- Dealing with insurance matters, and to oversee the annual insurance renewal process and ensure appropriate coverage is maintained at all times.
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure compliance with the governmental and company rules and regulations.
- Ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and government agencies.
- Standards and applicable federal, state and local regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting.
- Supervise the investment of the company’s funds and associated treasury activities
- Provide inputs for a short-term and long-term investment plan for efficient utilization of available funds of the company
- Monitor the administration of investment decisions upon approval of the board
- Supervise redemption of invested funds as per requirement
- Guide the team in preparation of the Annual Investment Report to be shared with the stakeholders
- Management of the supply chain finance.
- Major deals with banks and financial institutions and relationship
- Management of capital investments, working capital and liquidity monitoring cash balance and cash forecasts
- Arrange for debt and equity financing and invest funds
- Engagement with bankers for financial closure and project financing.
- Forge strategic relationships and partnerships with Clients, Vendors, Banks & FIs and Investors.
- Establishing and developing relations with external partners and stakeholders
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with senior executives so as to identify their needs and seek full range of business solutions.
- Undertake and lead commercial feasibility studies for overseas activities or projects either independently or with assistance of external consultants
- Conduct feasibility studies & provides advice on new business ventures / strategies
- Effectively lead and assess the financial aspects of merger / acquisition assignments
- Supervise acquisition due diligence and negotiate acquisitions
- Assume or accept any other responsibilities as assigned by the direct supervisor
- Take on and manage ad hoc projects within the Finance Department and in the wider business as required.
- Reviewing all formal finance, HR and IT related procedures
- Oversee employee benefit plans with emphasis on maximizing a cost-effective benefits package
- Manage and support major projects that require significant quantitative and qualitative analysis from a financial perspective
- Keeps staff apprised of changes in organization and departmental policies.
- Other duties as assigned within the scope of responsibility and requirements of the job
- Management and implementation of contracts and understanding of government -customer-suppliers-vendors’ requirements
- To drive the expansion project as Co-Pilot and to ensure the Project timelines are met in terms of finding right partner, Cost, Quality and Project Delivery.
[C] Key Performance Indicators:
- Financial strategies and risk mitigation
- Structuring and negotiation of transactions with key stakeholders
- Value maximization through providing expert opinions and providing suitable business growth suggestions
- Building strong internal and external stakeholder relationships with key partners and stakeholders
- Develop performance measures and monitoring systems that support Company’s strategic direction
What it takes to work with us in this position
- Chartered Accountant or master’s degree with Major in Accounting.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance or Economics from an accredited college or university or any other relevant field
- Degree qualified CPA/CA
- Bachelor’s degree in finance/economics and a Master’s degree in business administration or CPA.
- Minimum certain number of relevant working years’ experience in a progressive organization or multinational as Chief Financial Officer. Strong experience in working with C-suite level
- Strong track record of financial reporting and statutory compliance/audit.
- Strong experience in building and managing efficient finance structures for capital intensive projects.
- Demonstrated track record of success and accomplishment in increasing managerial responsibility.
- Track record of developing and executing strategic decisions that create value and enhance the overall success of a business.
- Broad-based business orientation and experience partnering with business leaders to achieve objectives.
- Extensive experience that demonstrates strong leadership skills and the ability to provide strategic direction to the business with strong work ethics.
- Experience in strategic business planning
- Must have experience working with the financial institutions and familiar with large financing projects
- Commercially savvy and have experience across full aspects of finance including treasury, tax, corporate finance, forex, and financial planning & analysis
- Must be able to successfully manage multiple, simultaneous projects
- Strong financial and accounting background, including an understanding of profit and loss, budget, and cash flow management.
- Up to date with all applicable laws, systems, and processes
- Knowledge of IT software
- Superior financial PC skills
- Good communication and leadership skills.
- Excellent analytical and researching skills.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with multiple personnel
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to take good decisions based on judgment is absolutely essential
- Should be able to deal appropriately with the confidential information
- Ability to work under pressure, plan personal workload effectively
- An understanding of profit and loss, budget and cash flow management
- Facts based Decision-making
- Credible partner to the business and its senior executives
- Industry exposure would be highly advantageous
- Demonstrated track record in your ability to lead a sizeable team,
- Act as a good business partner in a leadership role
- Have experience in driving finance transformation projects
- Confidence and gravitas to build relationships with senior internal and external stakeholders (auditors, bankers, investors, etc.)
- "Hands-on" and strong appetite to work in a fast-growth environment
- Ability to work in a highly ambiguous environment and possess an entrepreneurial mindset and capability
- Strong personality and authoritative
- High level risk management